Friday 19 January 2007

Mayor's Diary for 18th January 2007 - published in the Wells Journal

There seems to be an awful lot of people around at the moment with colds etc. Your Mayor hasn’t yet caught it (touch wood). However, when I get it – I have ‘Man Flu’ in spectacular style. Everyone knows about it…

Over the past week I’ve attended 7 events, functions and meetings as your Mayor.

On Tuesday I joined in some filming for BBC3’s ‘Spendaholics’ programme. The programme highlights those who just keep spending and how they intend to pay back all that cash. A local chap called Paul Scates was selected for this latest in reality TV. He put together a wonderful night of entertainment, including many local artists. It was all good fun. The evening included a mini concert in the caves, dancing, champagne and nibbles.

The event was the last part of a series of interviews done for the programme. The final product will be on air (BBC3) before the end of this month.

On Saturday I hosted a reception in the Mayor’s Parlour for Kitty Webster. Kitty is raising money for the ‘Link Community Development’ charity. One of her many ideas were to hold a raffle with prizes kindly donated by local businesses. So far Kitty has raised £680. Her target is £1000 before the end of February.

On top of all this fundraising, Kitty is to hitch hike (as part of an organised event) from the UK to Morocco. If you can, please support her on this epic journey. I have placed links on my blog (www.mow633.blogspot.com) so you can contact Kitty.

Sunday saw, what I regard as the best service if the civic year. The Mayoress, my Chaplain, my fellow Councillors and I attended the Commemoration to Bishop Bekynton. The first part of the service is held around the Conduit. Then we processed to the Cathedral. After the service, The Dean kindly invited us to afternoon tea at the Deanery.

Over the next week my diary includes Council meetings, meetings with YMCA, attending a presentation of the British Army in Bath and lunch in the Mayor’s Parlour with the SHLA. I also try and keep my blog upto date with developments.

No comments: