Thursday 1 March 2007

Mayor's Diary for 28th February 2007 - as published in the Wells Journal

We can all tell that spring is on it’s way – as the start and end of the day are getting much lighter. It’s now so much easier for me to get up in the mornings. Since I don’t do mornings, that is a great help.

Over the past week I’ve attended 6 events, functions and meetings as your Mayor.

On Friday, the Wells City Band kindly hosted a concert for my charities. The concert theme was a suggestion of mine….music from the films and stage. It was a great evening which included Cllr Colin Price and me dressing up like the Blue Brothers and joining in with the band. I must say that the hat and glasses really suited Cllr. Price. They didn’t go that well with the chain though.

Saturday evening I attended the Rotary President’s Dinner in the Town Hall. A former Mayor, Desmond Gripper is currently President. It was a brilliant night which saw the club celebrate 60 years since its charter was granted. A bit of history was made as the President announced that I was the first Mayor in the club’s history to be invited on two consecutive President’s Dinners. Anyway, it is a real asset for the City to have such a vibrant club.

On Sunday my Mum visited me. I haven’t been able to see my Mum since the beginning of December, due to engagements. However, we had a fantastic day which included a lovely lunch in Andre’s.

Monday saw my Chaplain and I attending the Memorial Service of Mr David Tubway-Quilter. It was a wonderful service, which saw the Cathedral fill to maximum capacity. The service was reflective and quite moving. Although I’d only met Mr Tubway-Quilter a few times, I suspect he would have enjoyed seeing so many people he either lived with, worked with or was friends with.
Over the next week my diary includes Council meetings, the relaunch of Alex Scott Hairdressing, Women’s Day of Prayer, Glastonbury Male Voice Choir (for one of my charities (Macmillan Support), Elim Service for the front line workers (Town Hall),a Boxing Match, a tour of the Town Hall and a reception for the Primary School Heads and Governors.

No comments: