Sunday 4 March 2007

I'm not about to throw in the towel....

A rest on Sunday??? Not a chance!

Up at 0830hrs to let the Elim Church in to the Town Hall, to set up for their Civic Service. The service, which started at 1030hrs, was dedicated to all of those people who work hard in the community in 'front line' jobs (care workers, policemen, social workers etc).

The service was lead by Pastor Stephen Fowler, who was one of Wells' youngest Mayors (age of 28 in late 80's).

During the service, I was interviewed on why I became Mayor etc. I thought it was going to be a 'Paxman' style mauling.....but he let me off as it was a Sunday!!!

All had a great time. The children went down stairs during the service to produce a collage on the theme. At the end they produced a 4m long collage on Wells and it's services! It was wonderful, I appeared on it twice (once as a stick man). I'm not too sure where the Wells Airport is, but everything else reflected life in Wells. I intend on hanging the collage during the next (and last) City Council meeting in April.

To see what the Elim Church does, please click here. I have placed a permanent link on the 'Wells Blogroll'.

After lunch and updating my blog from the last couple of days, I had a complete change of tack!

My Chaplain and I attended the Wells Amateur Boxing Match, held in Kudos. We were very lucky to also be joined by our MP, David Heathcoat-Amory.

There were 15 matches planned, but sadly one of the clubs didn't show. However, those who were there more than made up! Some of the matches were some young teenagers. They showed a lot of skill and determination.

When the older ones came on, it was a different matter! Still a lot of skill and determination - added with real power behind the punches. Some of the matches were superb.

I was very impressed with the way it was refereed and the rules were very stringent. Kudos was packed with people from around the City and beyond. It looks like they may have stumbled across a popular piece of local entertainment - for regular matches. We'll have to wait and see.

I was lucky to have David Heathcoat-Amory MP near to me, explaining the rules and tactics. Mr Heathcoat-Amory has always supported boxing; indeed used to play it.

Anyway, back at home now....calming down!

No comments: