Saturday 24 March 2007

Mayors Diary for 22nd March 2007 - as published in the Wells Journal

This week I received some very shocking and upsetting news. Ann Wain, who was an excellent member of staff and a good supporter of my Mayoralty, died this week.

Ann had a wonderful range of talents and skills which not only benefited my business, but also meant I was able to attend many of the day time functions to which I was invited. Ann said to me before becoming Mayor that she would help out at work when ever necessary. This often meant staying for long hours working under pressure with me out of the business. She did it all without complaint.

I could then concentrate on doing my duty without worrying about work. Believe me, when you’re doing the job as Mayor, you need as little worry as possible.

I’ll miss Ann for her humour, conversation, honesty, dedication and support. I know that is reflected amongst my other members of staff in Pickwicks.

Over the past week I’ve attended 4 events, functions and meetings as your Mayor.

On Tuesday, I received the ‘Loving Cup of England’ into the City. The cup is being passed around to over 50 cities across England. The idea is to promote community spirit amongst the peoples of our great cities. The cup will complete it’s journey on St. Georges Day in Westminster. More on the event can be found on my blog, www.mow633.blogspot.com.

On Wednesday I had two engagements which were AGM’s. The first was the AGM for Abbeyfield, which this year celebrated it’s 50th anniversary. This is an excellent society which really does support elderly people whilst retaining their independents.

The second AGM was for Macmillan Support. At this meeting I was asked and elected to become the Wells branch Vice Chairman. Macmillan Support is one of my charities.

On Monday the Mayoress, my Chaplain and Cllr Maureen Brandon hosted a reception for the Governors and Heads of the Blue School. This was to say thankyou for the work they do.

Over the next week my diary includes Council meetings, Youth Media project, the Almshouses, opening the Wells City FC Function Room and a reception for the sports clubs of Wells.

No comments: