Wednesday 4 April 2007

Mayor's Diary for 5th April 2007 - as published in the Wells Journal

Well spring is definitely here. The weather is improving and people are wearing short sleeved shirts and shorts. As you approach the City, many of the flowers are blooming, which gives our visitors a wonderful sense of Wells as they arrive.

This week is Easter and the long holiday (even longer for those at school). For the record I don’t really ‘do’ chocolate, so my eggs are put into my fridge for a while. However the Mayoress loves anything chocolate – and quite gladly eats all mine. Shocking isn’t it?

Over the past week I’ve attended 6 events, functions and meetings as your Mayor.

On Wednesday I had two events. The first was a series of three presentations to members of the John Lewis Coffee Club, from Southampton. 60 members came to Wells for the day, including a former Mayor and Mayoress of Winchester. The connection here is that my Aunt is part of this club as she had worked for John Lewis (aka Tyrell & Green of Southampton) for about 30 years. My family had a strong connection with the old store.

In fact a couple of the visitors recognised me. It didn’t help that my over zealous Aunt was part of it all. Why does each family have a mad Aunt? More on the visit can be found on my blog, www.mow633.blogspot.com.

Later that evening I attended the Mendip Business Forum in Rook Chapel, Frome. I gave a presentation to the group on the affect the filming of Hot Fuzz had on the City. I based my talk around the general feeling that the filming was for the greater good.

On Thursday, the Mayoress and I attended a concert in the Cathedral hosted by Wells Cathedral School. It was a wonderful evening, which featured some of the best young talent you can find in this country.

I launched the Scout Hut Appeal on Friday, by drawing their raffle. The first prize was a super size egg. There was enough chocolate in there to keep a few people happy.

On Monday, I hosted the inaugural meeting of the Mendip Ladies Group. We had buck fizz on arrival, followed by me giving a guide around the Mayoralty and our civic regalia.


Over the next week my diary includes Council meetings (including a full City Council meeting) and an Easter Party at the Sherston Inn.

No comments: