Friday 13 April 2007

Mayor's Diary for 12th April 2007 - as published in the Wells Journal

Only five more weeks to go until the end of my year and loads more to see and do.

One of my last major events will be the 1940’s night on 11th May. The event is a fundraiser for one of my charities, the RUH CT Scanner Appeal. Tickets can be obtained from ‘Sense’ on 01749 670121.

Over the past week I’ve attended 3 events, functions and meetings as your Mayor.

Wednesday at noon was the cut off for nominations for candidates who wish to stand for election on 3rd May. All of the seats across the City for Mendip District Council are being contested. At the time of writing, those standing for the City Council are being processed. However, may I take this opportunity to wish all of the candidates the ‘very best of British’ in the elections.

On Thursday I chaired the last full City Council meeting before the elections. During the meeting we had several constructive debates about delivering services to the residents of the city.

As far as I know Cllrs. Blundell, Sapstead, Sommers and Woods are retiring from the council. May I use this opportunity to thank them for their service over the years.

I would especially like to thank on behalf of the City Cllr. Blundell for her work with Wells Museum and Cllr. Sapstead for services to Mendip District Council for Central Ward and his expertise on the Wells City Planning committee.

On Easter Sunday my Chaplain, Lavinia Byrne made a wonderful roast dinner for the Mayoress, myself and some other friends.

On Monday I opened the Garden Party at the Sherston Inn. It was a wonderful day with sunshine and loads of fun things for people of all ages to do. Well done to Matt and Sarah for organising such a superb event. More on the day can be found on my blog, http://www.mow633.blogspot.com/.

Over the next week my diary includes Council meetings, Macmillan Support meeting and a reception in the Mayor’s Parlour.

No comments: