Monday 15 October 2007

Mayor's Diary for 10th May 2007 - as published in the Wells Journal

Mayor’s Diary

By the time you’ve read this, I’ll be into my final 10 days as your Mayor. I’ve still got a cramped diary - some of which I’m going to have to do after my term has finished.

Over the past week I’ve attended 8 events, functions and meetings as your Mayor.

On Wednesday, my Chaplain and I visited Fletcher House to open a Summerhouse which had been kindly donated by a Gladys Townley. It was a wonderful day, totally suitable for the garden and the Summerhouse.

Thursday was taken up with local elections. I would like to thank all of those people who voted for me in both the City and Mendip ballots.

On Friday, I hosted a visit by St. Cuthbert’s Primary School to the Town Hall. First we visited the Parlour and then it was off to the Courts and cells. After all that, Richard Green took us on a tour of the fair.

Saturday morning saw the Mayoress, my Chaplain and the whole Council open the May Fair. I really enjoy this event as we all get to go on the dodgems and other rides. Your Mayor was particularly brave to ride on the ‘Freddie’s Revenge’. I got my colour back soon afterwards.

After the rides we attended a brunch in The Swan Hotel. Many thanks to James Rogers for organising the morning.

On Bank Holiday Monday I opened the Cathedral Green May Fair, organised by Wells Action. Although it was raining very hard when I opened the fair, it all soon changed and dried up.

After that I watched the Air Training Corp perform drill in the Market Place. Then I lead school children from the Town Hall to the May Pole for their traditional dance.

I then drove to Western Super Mare to watch Wells FC beat Burnham 2 – 1 at the Cup Final. Well done to Wells FC for such a brilliant game and brining the cup back to Wells after 67 years. As you can imagine, the whole club had a wonderful party afterwards.

Over the next week my diary includes Council meetings (including full City Council), a visit to the Archery Club, Royal British Legion lunch, Chamber of Commerce dinner, the Classic Car Rally and the Christian Aid Week service.

No comments: