Monday 15 October 2007

Mayor's Diary for 17th May 2007 - as published in the Wells Journal

Mayor’s Diary

After this diary entry there will only be one left. I’m going have to have to think of something else to do on a Monday evening now.

Over the past week I’ve attended 11 events, functions and meetings as your Mayor.

On Tuesday, Wells Archery Club invited me along to one of their evenings at the Sports Ground. I had a great time. I managed to get all of my arrows onto the target and fired several into the centre. Not quite Robin Hood, but on my way there.

I had three engagements on Thursday. First it was off, with my Chaplain, to the Royal British Legion Lunch at St. Thomas’ Hall. Then it was off to Fletcher House for Pauline Leyton’s ‘surprise’ leaving party. Pauline has done so much for many people in Fletcher House. I know she will be missed.

In the evening I chaired the first full City Council meeting of this term. On the Council we now have 10 re-elected Councillor’s and 6 new ones (including the Mayoress).

On Friday I helped draw the 1940’s raffle for the RUH (which is one of my charities) and then it was off to the launch of Ron Thompson’s new shop in Broad Street.

There were two events on Saturday. First I assisted in the street collection for Macmillan Support, which is also one of my charities. Much of the collecting was done in the pouring rain. Later in the evening I attended a charity dinner at the Rugby Club.

On Sunday, with the rain pouring down yet again – I was collected from work in a wonderful vintage car and taken to the Mendip Car Rally on Cathedral Green. I had an excellent time walking around the parked cars, for which I had to pick my favourite. This year I selected an Aston Martin DB24. The car just looked stunning.

After the rally, I attended the Christian Aid Launch Week in St. Thomas’ Church. As usual it was a nice service which focused upon El Salvador.

Over the next week my diary includes Council meetings (including the Annual Parish Meeting), cooking at Andre’s, meeting people form Paray Le Monial (our twinned town), hosting a visit by students from Virginia, hosting a celebration reception for Wells City FC and holding my final party – ‘The Last Hurrah’.

No comments: